ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 428 guests, and 31 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Z
Have you tried servicing the panel? I.E tightening down the lugs on the incoming mains? Sometimes the neutral is loose on the POCO side, but I've corrected the problem in the main panel as well.

Don't take crap from the POCO. Document every conversation and call that you have made to them and the names (first and last) of the people you talked to, as well as the exact times. That way, when things start blowing up (and they will, if they already haven't), the POCO is liable because you notified them of the problem and they failed to act.

Personally, I have never seen a POCO drag their feet on a loose neutral problem. They should be well aware of the danger involved as well as the havoc that is wreaked by such a fault.

As far as rigging up a customer-side solution, it's ill advised. The problem needs to be resolved.

Good luck!

J
Originally Posted by kenny2656
We have already determined the neutral problem is the fault of the POCO, but it has to be happening somehow on the primary side because many transformers are involved.

The Neutral has to be established at the secondary center- tap of the transformer. Maybe they bought a bunch of transformers with crappy center tap posts. We got a run of bad aux transformers in our newer substations. Most of them blew in the first 2 years.

I've wasted too much time trying to dream up a useful design that could counter the evil lifted neutral. It would have to have a 2 pole breaker almost as big as the main itself and be capable of huge current draw shifts between the legs to neutral. I don't see it as ever being a practical gizmo to install in a residence. i could see designing into a device where you could power a load from the hottest leg or phase combo.
Joe

L
Joe,

How about a simple 240 to 120/240 transformer? Size it to power the whole house. Obviously the secondary centertap will need to be grounded and all that, but as long as the incoming voltage remained 240, issue resolved.

Larry

Ever thought about putting a Data Logger on the installation for proof?.

J
Larry,

Obviously what you say would work but would be a major and costly retrofit. The utility, after all, owes you a Neutral. The dream gizmo would install almost as easily as a surge arrestor, keep the voltages to Neutral balanced, not waste power when it isn't needed, and scream bloody murder (or log) when it is needed. Since you would have to load down the lightly loaded leg to achieve balance, the power would be wasted if you had no desired load for it.
Joe

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard