ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 371 guests, and 39 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Retired Helper:
OK, then send it to me in a PM, or e-mail, about now I could use a good laugh.

Not so coincidental, but around 8:45AM today I got a call re Fire Dept at scene of electrical explosion. Got to site, the electrician was already airlifted to Burn Ctr, and the building was 'dark'.

Found out it was a 100 amp disco (fused) rack in a GE Spectra swbd. 3K amp main in adjacent elec room; 1600 amp feeder to this swbd; all 480v. Yeah, right at eye level for most guys. Damaged rack was removed, & power restored to bldg. (Reset GF on main that had tripped)

Condition of electrician at this time (8:50PM) is unknown.

BTW, for those of you that don't know me..I'm the AHJ in that Twp.

John

John
Arc Flash PPE Clothing, LOTO & Insulated Tools
mxslick Offline OP
Retired Helper:

Yeah, PM that story to me also, please. smile

John:

Any idea on the cause of that incident? Any pictures of the damaged gear you can share?

mxslick Offline OP
Originally Posted by HotLine1
<snip>

Harried lives, lack of time....welcome to America.

Take care, stay safe

John

How true!!! smile

MX:
Bldg is 'ultra secure'; entry controlled; NO cameras, etc. I'll see if the damaged 'rack' is taken to another area Mon/Tues.
I'm reserving my opinions here until I determine more facts. 'Whatever' will be posted here.
Pure opinion on my part as of now is a phase to ground fault at the disco, what was "hot" is unknown.
John

John
L
LK Offline
Originally Posted by HotLine1
MX:
Bldg is 'ultra secure'; entry controlled; NO cameras, etc. I'll see if the damaged 'rack' is taken to another area Mon/Tues.
I'm reserving my opinions here until I determine more facts. 'Whatever' will be posted here.
Pure opinion on my part as of now is a phase to ground fault at the disco, what was "hot" is unknown.
John

Yup, I found that in the police reports today, they said the EC was from Mass. I can understand why you don't have any Pic's or information to give out, it is still an active investigation.

Last edited by LK; 06/09/07 10:01 PM.
MX/LK:
As soon as I hear any further info that's 'public', I'll post it here.

Yes, Mass guy, no info on his condition today; Tues I'm calling their office for an update on the guys condition.
John

John
mxslick Offline OP
John:

Any follow-up to this incident that you're allowed to share?

As of last Thursday (6/28/2007) all that is being 'said' is:
Guy was able to speak at Burn Unit, wife was at his side. 30-40% 2nd & 3rd degree burns on face, neck and upper body areas. No info on anything other than burns.

As to the cause...nothing official available.

Speculation and opinions (unofficial) is that the switch was in the 'ON' position as the fuses where being installed, and 'something' went to ground on the dead front.

The above paragraph is the 'buzz' going around from various unofficial sources, there is NO official comment on this accident.

Stay safe.
John

John
As of 7/18/2007 the young man is expected to return to work within the next 30 days. His injuries were not as severe as everyone thought. For one, I'm glad for him; he is one lucky guy.

Hopefully, someone else that was around, or who may have read this, or seen any of the videos will excersize caution.

Details of the cause are still unavailable due to a possible ongoing investigation.

John

John
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard