ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 399 guests, and 41 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
togol #163660 05/14/07 03:29 AM
E
e57 Offline OP
Quite possibly yes... Real estate here is a special circumstance, rivaling Manhatten in some ways. Less damage expenses, and demo costs he could stand to make some money in short haul. After the banks and agents are done roughly $70-100k??? to sell the lot clean ready to build. (if he does it before tax time...) More if he goes for the long run. (Granted if he has the capitol... Don't know about that...)

The current laws that protect existing housing prohibits demo. The reason it sold so low last year is because they couldn't tear it down, and too cost prohibitive to rehab. Talked to a GC who looked at it last year said the math on the place drove him off it, 80-100% demo permits go into the hundreds of thousands dollars and equal miles of red tape with public hearings. (This guy skipped most of that.) Making it not profitable to tear down an existing structure. It has developers salivating over the few empty lots that they get at ~$700k they can slap a unit or two on for $1-300k and sell at $1.*M. They end up making $1-300K(*?), depending on what they get away with the Planning Dept. location and market conditions.

These same demo prohibitive laws make the residential construction market here >90% re-model. Been busy doing that for the last 14 years. I have even re-modeled the same home 3 times! People buy, then "flip" homes after two years - new buyers do the same... Everyone makes a little each time.

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
e57 #163675 05/14/07 01:07 PM
G
It sounds like a great place for a fire bug to get rich. Not a bad fire, just bad enough to compromise the structure.

Greg Fretwell
E
e57 Offline OP
Not so much in the normal single and dual family residential market, but much larger properties with existing resi units for mid-low income. Residential hotels have been found with bleach soaked neutral busses before... (Not sure if I should mention that... Kind of 'Anachist Cook-book' talk...) Many of those have burned under very questionable circumstances either way. But "compromised structure" usually involves a 4 alarm with no possible way to re-hab the structure - meaning the lives of the tenants and the lives of those fighting the fire are up for loss...

Other-wise you can get what would be a complete tear-down anywhere else - put a few hundred thousand into it and still make money on re-sale. What you end up with is a facade of a 1906 laborer shack on a shear-walled, moment framed bomb shelter with the ammenities of a palace. If it has a view of any portion of any bridge, from even the bathroom window - add $200k per window. Add a fancy/desirable nieghborhood name, like Diamond Hieghts, or Fillmore add $100k. (Pacific Hieghts, Nob Hill or Sea Cliff add $1.5-3M+) Parking add $100k etc. etc.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard