ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 565 guests, and 35 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#159858 02/21/05 07:00 PM
D
I know you said your rough-in is done, but if it’s possible run at least two more cables for a total of four, two data and two voice, believe me the owner will thank you later. As a matter of fact, for an office location, I recommend four data and two voice to all my customers, it saves me from having to come back later and install a switch. Then terminate all your cables to 8p8c Cat-5e (RJ45) jacks in the 568B color code. A 6p6c (RJ11/14) plug is designed to fit in a Cat-5e jack (try it if you don't believe me), and will give you three lines with the third being a split pair, but that will not effect voice signals. You can also get four lines from the same jack if you use a breakout module. As the above posters said, I also recommend using different color jacks, I use orange or red for data and white for voice.
In the backroom, terminate everything to a Cat-5e patch block, most patch blocks are twelve port so you may need two. Patch blocks work better than patch panels in residential applications where space is limited, due to smaller size and ease of mounting. Then mount a small 110 block and bridge it. At this point you can buy pre-made cables or make your own to cross-connect between the 110 block and the patch block/panel. There are some 110 blocks with RJ45 jacks built-in which make patching easier and cheaper. In a large installation I would use separate panels for voice and data, but you can mix them here if you label them properly. I think you will find this system is a little more future-proof against changes and upgrades down the road. As a last note, if you use the pre-made 110 to RJ45 patch cables or the 110 block with built-in jacks, you will have to use breakout modules on the user end, as both are designed to the 568B code. If not, you will have to make up your own cross-connect cables to get line 3 on RJ45 jack pins 2/7.

-Al

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

#159859 02/21/05 09:07 PM
H
A 6p6c (RJ11/14) plug is designed to fit in a Cat-5e jack (try it if you don't believe me)

Nobody doesn't believe it- done frequently but that doesn't mean that it is a good idea to install a system with that in mind. There are people who say that a 6 pin plug will damage the outside (#1&8) pins on the 8 pin jack. I don't know because I always treat data separately from voice. I would never use a patch panel for voice, especially combining both on the same panel. Makes no sense to terminate a voice cable on an RJ-45 unless you have an old Merlin system. Each pair needs to be individually accessed and connected depending on the configuration and you would have a tough time doing that with 568B's at both ends. I can tell you from experience that it wouldn't stay that way for very long.

I think some people (depending on where their interest is) put too much emphasis on trying to make an installation "computer compliant". Run CAT5e or CAT6 for everything, use RJ-45's everywhere just in case someone wants to add another computer someday. The poor telephone guy has to jump through hoops because that's not the way it's done where he comes from.

-Hal

#159860 02/21/05 11:14 PM
D
Hal
I agree, no question my experience leans me towards an IP approach. No offence towards you Telco guys, but why shouldn’t everything be terminated the same. You can run voice on data but you can't run data on voice, so why have two separate systems? I try and design a system where all upgrades and changes are accomplished in the telephone room with a few patch cables and not at the faceplate. Worst case would be, making a cable with a 568B plug on one end, plugging it into the patch panel and then punching it down to standard Telco pinouts on a 110 block. I don't see what is so difficult about that. Also, in the last two years or so I have yet to receive a spec sheet for a bid job that specified anything other than Cat-5 cable, jacks and patch panels for voice and data, and that’s not from me that's from the engineer. I guess it's just a different point of view.

-Al

#159861 02/22/05 06:58 PM
S
haha.. "datadude"...love that handle.

#159862 02/22/05 10:08 PM
H
...but why shouldn’t everything be terminated the same?

Simply because they are two different technologies with differing requirements. They are (most often) also handled by two different groups of people with different training, experience and backgrounds.

To illustrate, many larger companies have an IT department and managers are wanting it to handle their telecom equipment also rather than the company spending money on outside vendors.

Problem is many IT people just have no idea how a PBX or switch works let alone the wiring configuration. They can set up and maintain a network and computers just fine but this is a different world.

In the world of IT every computer would come with a handset integrated into its keyboard and all they had to do is plug it into a network jack. No confusing cross connects, no different jacks just for voice, no new programming to learn. Sound like VoIP?

-Hal

#159863 02/23/05 03:10 PM
G
If you do a little looking you will find it is not recomended to use RJ11 plugs in RJ45 ports. They are not supported laterally and the connection is shaky. That may be OK if it is just a little static on your phone call but if this is a DSL line or a POTS modem your computer connection is compromized

Greg Fretwell
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard