ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 392 guests, and 30 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#158235 04/15/06 02:17 PM
M
what % are you paying at your bank? I learned about this a few years back from a customer in the garment industry. He was paying around 0.75%

Latest Estimating Cost Guides & Software:
#158236 04/15/06 10:18 PM
C
I've had about a half dozen or so, of these new house deals and I have taken the H.O. to MY bank for a credit check and had the H.O. use my bank for financing. It works for me and the bank likes it because I'm bringing them more business. I have worked a few deals with the banker to put some "seed" money up front to get any extra materials for the job that I don't normally have around the shop, if the H.O. has the proper line of credit. The bank also gives the H.O. a bit of a break on interest rates as well, so everyone wins a bit.

The best part is that I can rest easy when I know I won't be getting stiffed for the work because the banker has done all the background stuff on the client before the real work starts and I know the H.O. actually does have a valid credit rating.

As to your estimating of the job, that's a whole other issue. I have a very good supplier that wants to sell his stuff so he keeps me up to date on prices about once a week.

A 3,000 square foot house around here in Alberta will probably take about $3.50 to $4.00 per square foot for the material. I charge by the hour on these kinds of jobs, so you can work out an estimated time for your work. It helps a lot to have a helper for new stuff and NEVER do the rough-in until the lugans are done with plumbing and HVAC.

New house construction pricing takes a LOT of detailed work. I have even added up the price of cable staples into my work. Estimating is an artform to me and I ususally add a cushion for those ever present "unknowns" that always come up. I use 10% and it's never gone south on me yet. The only job that I took that went over estimate went over by 1.5%, which I agreed to eat because I won't back out on a contract price.

Hope that helps.

#158237 04/16/06 08:28 AM
R
CheckPilot...
"$3.50 to $4.00 per square foot for the material. I charge by the hour on these kinds of jobs"

I think it is less than $1.00 / sq. ft. for material. Around here, you can get about $1.50-$2.00 sq. ft. for large volume builders, and about $2.00-2.50 for small, custom builders, excluding options.

BTW,

I agree you can't bid by sq. ft. Unit pricing is the only way to go. Although, afterward you can calculate the sq. ft. costs

#158238 04/18/06 09:18 AM
F
festus Offline OP
I politely explained to the homeowner that due to the price of materials I could not undertake a job of this size at this time, and I recommended my former employeer to him as the best custom home builder in the area. I will stick to my service work and forgo the big money building business.

Thanks for all the advice you guys have given me.

Festus

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard