ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 428 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
H
Dave i'm all for what your doing also, it's just that I been contemplating putting together a excel sheet for bidding new houses and with excel you can set it up to do all the math, with varibles to like change like rate per MH cost and material cost, but have a set MH cost that it takes to do idividual items. of course I have not started doing this just yet but have figured out to use Excel and it will be time comsuming.

Latest Estimating Cost Guides & Software:
D
Dave55 Offline OP
Thanks, Steve. I wouldn't have known how to do any of this were it not for Bill providing this forum for us, and the for other people posting to help me out.

I've had some e-mails about this, so I wanted to add...

A reminder...this is for Residential Service for ECs with experience. For new construction...good luck making a profit.

Since creating a Sales Book, I can now estimate work in minutes while at the customer's house. I used to go back to the office to work up bids. I'm also prepared to work that day. This reduces my unbilled hours almost completely in the bid/contract process, and cuts my travel in half or third. In many cases it also gives MY customer no chance to call around for competitive prices.

I don't think it matters what software you use for your Sales Book as long as it looks professional. Obviously Excel is the software for numbers. I total bids up on a hand-written worksheet, and use a carbon type Contract Proposal when at the customer's house. In the office I use Word.

I have many tasks on my sheets which are probably not needed. With ceiling fans, for instance, I might eventually change it to...

Replace an existing ceiling fan
Install a ceiling fan with power wiring
Add switch wiring
Add remote control
Deduction for extra fans on the same job

If I had several techs, I'd certainly want the book to be more simple. You can make the numbers high enough to cover the job as an average as stated by Rick in a related post.

Dave

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard