ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 533 guests, and 35 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
fireftr,
Just a small point.
What you should be saying to your employers, is the fact that un-authorised persons, should not be anywhere near the electrical controls, let alone resetting them.
Your employers will be directly in the gun, if anyone gets injured by the actions of a person, that is not comptetent to operate the protection equipment. [Linked Image]

Arc Flash PPE Clothing, LOTO & Insulated Tools
S
well it just didn't take long....
[Linked Image]
fully involved garage fire last night, the homeowner built the shop himself, lost it all, along with all his cabinetry tools [Linked Image]

natuarlly, the suspect is DIY'er wiring...

the whole sehebang was fed via pole mounted meter/main , an older murray i believe, the 100A breaker being double lugged...

at one point, being somewhat redundant help, i undid the feeder to the garage so that the house could be energized (after all it was 10 below)

so here we have what i see as most common malady i see here, along with a man out of work, as well as the toolage to work and support his family.

no doubt the donation cans will soon appear at the local choke & puke, but as the specture of blame is raised here, i have to ask who ultimately really is...

~S~

jlhmaint,
You see more problems in your smaller plants i think the larger companies seem to be more on the ball.
The larger companies have a larger interest in this, because a lot more people would be affected by a Safety problem than the smaller companies.
Especially where an Electrical hazard could occur. [Linked Image]

B
The fact of the matter is the bigger companies have much deeper pockets and their risk managers force a lot more action. Remember, it is difficult for government to enforce much but the insurance company can require anything they want, even above and beyond code.

Joe,
Sorry to thread-jack yourself and Sparky earlier on in this thread!. [Linked Image]
But, I must ask this, in those photos, above, those are obviously test dummies aren't they?. [Linked Image]

Joe,
Just to agree with your first statement.
Follow the rules! Stay Alive!!
I'd add to that "and keep your fingers, toes, your good complexion and your scar- free body".
I know what it's like to have huge scarring!. [Linked Image]

Trumpy

The pictures were captured by me on my computer, and the video is done by "actors" but believe me it looks real.

I was experimenting, and found a way to stop and save the images, but the size is not really large enough, but does help when discussions arise.

I imagine that some of the videos use dummies like they do on the www.bussmann.com site where they discuss the subject of Arc Flash and PPE.

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
Joe,
Thanks for the reply.
I've never been in the situation where PPE has been worn because there is a real risk of it being needed, but I still wear it just the same.
On the other side of the coin, in the top pic that you posted what size fuses are those?.
Also this brings up another scenario, that I asked the question of a few months back.
Wearing Leather outers on your Live Gloves may be OK, but what say you have some sort of chemical residue from Crimping Aluminium splices on your gloves and some of these can be Flammable, especially Penetrox Grease, in contact with Leather Hide Gloves.
What gives?. [Linked Image]

Trumpy:

They looked like they were rated at 400 amp fuses? I will look again at the video to be sure this week. Your scenario about the "wire termination compound" is a good one.

I think that the gloves used are usually put into a bag for protection and should not be used for actual installations, but knowing that workers will use them sometimes can lead to what you are concerned with.

Now we should look for any restrictions or guidelines toward that additional safety rule, if any.

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
Yes Joe,
I agree on the abuse of Insulated gloves.
We are required to store them 2 seperate tubes (the rubbers I mean) Left and Right.
I had an aprentice Line Mechanic put a Screwdriver right through the middle of my Left glove one day, when stored as required, good thing I was always taught to roll them up before wearing them, as we were working on 66kV Delta Lines!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard