ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#146964 07/24/01 03:36 PM
L
linda Offline OP
I just purchased a house and had a regular inspection done without an electrical expert. Now that I have moved in, discovered that all the OUTLETS are 2 prong? and none are 3. Been advised by a friend that this is dangerous and need to get 3 prong installation so that the electrical circuits are grounded?? I'm don't know what this means. I also would like to know how much something like this would cost as I live in a small 2 bedroom house. Would like to know if this is neccessary. Also would like to know if this is against any electrical code violations of the seller who sold me this house.

Arc Flash PPE Clothing, LOTO & Insulated Tools
#146965 07/24/01 05:10 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
>this is dangerous and need to get 3 prong installation so that the electrical circuits are grounded??
If you want to plug in anything that is three prong, yes, absolutely.

>I also would like to know how much something like this would cost as I live in a small 2 bedroom house.
The wiring probably needs to be replaced.

>Would like to know if this is necessary.
Yes. You may also consider using GFCI receptacles and test them monthly. You should also get GFCI receptacles in your kitchen, bath, and laundry for your own protection.

You need an electrician to look for other problems such as undersized wiring, reversed polarity, and oversized OCPDs.

>would like to know if this is against any electrical code violations of the seller who sold me this house
That is not likely.

#146966 07/27/01 08:11 PM
S
linda,
there are ways of making older wiring *safe* without rewiring your entire home.

#146967 07/27/01 09:46 PM
R
Just because the receptacles are 2 prong doesn't necessarily mean that a ground is not available inside the outlet box. Have an electrician check them out. If a ground is available and is of sufficient length, you could probably have them replaced for $15-25.00 each(depending on how many) plus a minimum standard service fee.

#146968 08/03/01 12:22 AM
A
linda,

Two-prong outlets are not inherently dangerous. Most appliances and lamps that you're going to use in a house are double-insulated and use two-prong plugs. No need in most cases for a three-prong outlet. But Dspark is right, if have an appliance or tool with a three-prong cord, you need a three-prong outlet. The adapters that let you plug a 3-prong plug into a 2-prong outlet are dangerous.

If in your day-to-day routine, any circuit breakers trip or fuses blow, then get an electrician to upgrade the circuit that's inadequate. And that might mean upgrading the fusebox or breaker panel. But not necessarily.

And do have the outlets in the kitchen and bathroom replaced with GFIs, THese do not need a ground wire to work. The GFIs will provide a margin of safety against a malfunctioning appliance or cord.

Good luck with the housse.

Link Copied to Clipboard