ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 415 guests, and 29 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Broom Pusher and
My TR(a)S(h) 80, Model 1 had a similar Boot technique. It would load Basic Interpreter and OS, plus whatever app you planned to use, via the "CLOAD" command. This would run an external tape deck (typical cassette deck), and load the above from the cassette tape.
Connection was done via "MIC" and "SPKR" panel mounted jacks.

Loading took forever!

This was the first Machine I found the extreme value of creating and Archiving Back-Up media!!!
Since Audio Tape is so prone to gaussing issues + other fun stuff, I got to experience the loss of Read data, and the effect it has when loading from those Audio Cassette Tapes!

Needless to say, everything was re-written, and copied back to _SEVERAL_ Cassettes!

On my Model 2, got a good crash course regarding the familiar Interrupt 80 (IRQ80h).
I believe this IRQ originally was to initiate loading of the Basic Interpreter from external Tape drive(s) on Machines???

Since the Model 2 had no "Fixed Disk Drive", it would stop at IRQ80 if there was no system disk placed in the first floppy disk drive (8" low density drive!).
Prompt was similar to IBM's, displaying:

"Non System Disk Or Diskette, Reboot"

Messed around with those Z-80 based Machines for a long time.

Got an actual PC in early 1993. Man, what a change!!!

Scott35

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
G
I missed the whole Altair, Trash 80, Commodore experience. I could usually get mainframe time any time I wanted it and I was writing 360/370 assembler in my spare time. I really waited until there was something to do at home with a computer before I got one. (Prodigy and linking into my office system) My first machine was a 5150 "PC".
I did build some controllers and a chronograph out of STDTL "cards" but that was not really microprocessor based. It was just the logic gates (up to 6 gates a card by that point).

Greg Fretwell
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard