ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 355 guests, and 38 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Hey! I missed that before!

Dspark, you use CyA (cyanoacrylate HCl -"Super Glue") to seal cuts? So do I!

I'm told CyA was developed during 'Nam for medics as a field suture...

Go here for the latest uses... Gotta love that Brand name!

Go here for Dave Barry's response to same...

I use Pacer Technologies "Zap" of various viscosities and cure times both for work and for my airplanes and for toughening up sore finger tips while playing the git-fiddle...

[This message has been edited by sparky66wv (edited 09-05-2001).]

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

I've used something like that in the Bowling Alley. I think they called it "Liquid Skin"

[Linked Image]
Bill

Bill
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
>I'm told CyA was developed during 'Nam for medics as a field suture...
I heard pretty much the same except that it was used to repair shrapnel injuries internally, e.g., guts, that were too shredded or too painstaking difficult to suture conventionally.

I heard the story about gluing chicken butts shut. The part apart dying it red didn't make sense.

Perhaps I should market it under the name Anti-Shock. Put the liquid kind (not the gel) on any finger and rub it out with the same finger of the opposite hand just like lotion until it is thin and dry. (And I stress that you do just one pair of fingers at a time.) When you are done, the coating will be quite flexible and does not interfere with most work (sense of touch is somewhat impaired). But so far as I can tell, shock proof, at least until damaged.
I never tried anything above 120 V, but at that voltage, it seems as good as a fingernail for keeping out those pesky amperes. As Scott35 suggested, a camera flash circuit might be a safe test for high voltage.

It is important to get a thin layer of glue so that it is flexible. If it is thick, it will crack and leak.

Of course it is better to apply in a well ventilated area. The fumes are tremendous.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
How did it smell, Bill? I doubt that cyanoacrylate is approved for use on skin - at least it is contrary to the manufacturers' instructions.

CyA is regular ol' super-glue or crazy-glue, depending on brand. I don't know what liquid skin is... Does it look like super glue?

The various viscosities of Zap and other brands are for hobby use... Watch the thinner varieties, they cure so quickly they'll burn your skin! Accelerators (catalyst?) make it even quicker if "instant" isn't quick enough, cures so fast it smokes!... (Good for when one is holding a dimension critical part in place, like the incidence on a tailplane...) "removers" are also available, but expensive, and they also make "odorless" varieties of glues, albeit more expensive.

I'm a "Superglue" expert! [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by sparky66wv (edited 09-05-2001).]

-Virgil
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
I don't remember what it smelled like but it could be peeled off like PVC cement when it dries on your skin. They used to sell it in the vending machines with the talcum powder and rosin (resin?) bags.

Bill

Bill
I should mention that I don't use it for the purpose of a PPE, but literally as a suture for the inevitable cuts that I get... I've cut to the bone before, getting in a hurry, not paying attention, new blade... or those dern canister lights... they'll getcha too...

Without CyA, good ol' Scotch Super 33 (couple of wraps) will stop the bleedin'!

-Virgil
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
>it could be peeled off like PVC cement when it dries on your skin.
That could be many things. CyA doesn't peel. And if you put it on that thick, it would crack or flake. But it would be hard as stone.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
>I don't use it for the purpose of a PPE, but literally as a suture for the inevitable cuts that I get...
Same for me. But that's how I discovered that it is PPE, sort of.

The 1000 ohms resistance from hand to hand goes completely out the window if contact is made with a wound. Therefore, for your own safety, you should have all wounds sealed just in case. I know of nothing that seals a wound like super glue.

Most clean slices heal in three days with no itching or soreness or burning or infection or all those awful things, and that is about two weeks faster than the next competitor.

For wire cuts and encounters with box corners and such that leave a jagged edge or remove too much skin to glue it back together, I use waterproof adhesive tape. It keeps the wound clean and moist.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard