ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 409 guests, and 27 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Broom Pusher and
Marc,

Thanks for the information regarding the 710 series Prime Movers!

I have not seen any of the new 265 Series Prime Movers in person, but I have a Magazine Article about it.
Nice looking Motor!

SD-90 MAC Locomotives use the 265 Series.
The Prime Mover is 16V265H7, rated at 6,300 HP - but after figuring in all the Parasitic Loads on the Motor, it ends up as 6,000 BHP.

It (the "265") has dual Turbochargers, which are "Exhaust Gas Driven Only".
The Turbocharger on prior Models were Mechanically driven at lower Engine speeds (like a Supercharger would be), then when Engine speed became high enough, the Turbocharger was driven by Exhaust Gases (normal operation).

As to Traction Motors, the SD-90 MAC (and SD-70 MAC + SD-75 MAC) use AC Traction Motors, and the remainder of production still use DC Traction Motors - typical to the D77X3 Traction Motor

my freind works on a railroad with new AC traction system, and he really likes them alot.
and he says its hard to stall the AC, compared to the DC traction motors - espcally on " drag " lines; aka heavy coal trains typically about 10-15K tons loads

I have heard the same from friends in the railroads - and more specifically, when Coal Drags are involved.

Another thing that is mentioned relates to loading Hoppers, and the way the Locomotive Control System has been designed very well around AC Traction.
There is a mode which the AC type Locomotive may be placed in, which will automatically compensate speed control, while dragging empty Hoppers through Coal and Grain loaders.
You pretty much just need to set a desired speed, place the Controls into a certain mode, and wait until someone radios you to stop!
[Linked Image]

Let me see what other information I can find / get regarding this AC Traction - Applications stuff.
I will post it here later (actually, I think a new thread would be best!)

Thanks again for the reply message, Marc!

Scott35

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
Brilliant stuff,
Thanks Alan and Paul!.
Certainly makes for a good read. [Linked Image]

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard