ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 271 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#12152 08/01/02 08:47 AM
R
Redsy Offline OP
I was asked to wire an AC unit that comes supplied with plasticized flexible cords to bring power from the disco. to the condensing unit, and from the condenser to the (thru-the-wall) evaporator.
The connection from the condenser reqiures 4 conductors. The manufacturer used a 3 conductor cord and one wire from a 2 conductor cord and taped them together. Due to the design of the equipment, sealtite could not be easily adapted to these units. This means that the cords have no physical protection. The manufactures states that the supplied wiring must be used. (I guess it's a warranty thing).
Anyone ever deal with this sort of equipment?

#12153 08/01/02 06:54 PM
Redsy:
We have wired quite a few of this type unit, and I have not seen any with cords/factory wiring as you explained.
Sanyo and Carrier are the brands out here.
Sealtite and EMT between the Cu and the fan/coil units. (4 wires)

BTW; anyone have any input as to a disco required/needed at the interior unit???
(Fan.Coil)

HotLine1
John

John
#12154 08/01/02 06:55 PM
Redsy:
We have wired quite a few of this type unit, and I have not seen any with cords/factory wiring as you explained.
Sanyo and Carrier are the brands out here.
Sealtite and EMT between the Cu and the fan/coil units. (4 wires)

BTW; anyone have any input as to a disco required/needed at the interior unit???
(Fan.Coil)

HotLine1
John

John
#12155 08/03/02 08:20 AM
I had a similar unit to connect last year,& although not a Sansui, it was Japanese made.
Some clown A/C co. had installed it in a small server room
115(yes)volt, it had no NRTL label, and the diagrams supplied showed the grounded conductor being switched. 4 wires (@ full voltage) ran from the condenser to the evaporator.
The unit never worked well, and I had 4 callbacks (none of which were problems with my wiring) when it failed repeatedly, one time nearly cooking about $100K in equipment.
I'd never hook up another one of these pieces of junk...S

Link Copied to Clipboard