ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 404 guests, and 25 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
B
Scott35's transformer pictures spark the memory of one version of utility-supplied three-wire delta service I found at a pretzel plant in El Segundo, CA {north of Disneyland ~15 miles.} The building had an original 800A 240V 3ø 3-wire corner-grounded-delta service, with several drytype 1ø transformers for 120/240V 1ø 3-wire feeding lighting and 120V convenience outlets. More recently, a 400A 120/240V 1ø 3-wire service had been added. The plant’s maintenance crew did onsite electrical troubleshooting, and some were very confused by the two different grounded-circuit conductors {all correctly white} that had completely different voltage relationships. In many places in the plant, they found circuits with 240V to ground, and in other places 120V to ground, but with no distinct phase/color-coding or markings to readily differentiate the different systems.

At the end of two weeks of training to understand their electrical system and work on it safely, out of a crew of about 8, a couple of guys understood it and were committed to teach others what to expect, and why the plant has more that one set “neutral” conductors. In corner-grounded-delta circuits the “white wires”/grounded-circuit conductors were not neutrals by Code definition, but “white wires”/grounded-circuit conductors in 120/240V circuits are. To complicate matters even more, the corner-grounded 3ø system used some 2-pole fusible switches, and both two- AND three-pole circuit breakers.

[The plant’s 1ø and 3ø transformers were served by once regionally popular 4800V 3ø ungrounded-delta distribution.]

[This message has been edited by Bjarney (edited 02-21-2004).]

Scott 35
I stumbled (usual mode of travel) across that xfrmr bank, and it's next to the Bank, and right around the corner from my house.
[Linked Image] Oh, great! Now I'll get this endless addiction to taking pictures of powerlines and transformers.
(You know, my whole street is going overhead to underground right now. Time to shoot pics).

May be time to start "Electricians Anonymous?" [Linked Image]
...S

[This message has been edited by electure (edited 02-24-2004).]

Broom Pusher and
Paul;

Thanks for all the extra photos Scott.

You're welcome! Glad to be part of the discussion.

About the largest xfmr set-up you're likely to see on poles is something like this:

I have seen a bunch of Polyphase Transformers for pole mount around these parts, similar to the one you have posted. Only the enclosures are a bit different in appearance, plus the H.V. Bushings normally are mounted on the top and the L.V. Bushings are on the front.

Bjarney;

Scott — Your image 5 is interesting with the set of “staggered” transformers.

Ya, the center one is huge, as compared to the outer two Transformers. It also has the cooling tubes, whereas the others do not have these.

As an example of how ingrained 240/120V delta and open-delta service can be, here are some [MSWord] pages from {El Paso Electric} utility’s distribution standards.

Thanks for the linked items! Added them to my ever-increasing Library 'O Info.
[Linked Image]

Electure;

I stumbled (usual mode of travel) across that xfrmr bank, and it's next to the Bank, and right around the corner from my house.

DING!!! Give the Man a Cigar!
I have been in this building a few times. Last time was to install a Card Reader Entry system at the side door, and also do an ATM upgrade (survey, design, install).

Oh, great! Now I'll get this endless addiction to taking pictures of powerlines and transformers.

You're Wife is really going to be puzzled now! [Linked Image]
My Wife still laughs about it - like the times we pull over suddenly and out comes the Digi Camera - aimed at Power Lines / Equipment!
She used to joke about this stuff + the "stalking trains" stuff, but it happens so often it lost all humor to her!

(You know, my whole street is going overhead to underground right now. Time to shoot pics).

I was wondering what was going on in your area! Wonder if our area is on the list too?
Street renovation is taking place currently. City workers have been patching like mad (smell of tar everywhere). Resurfacing is set for June.

May be time to start "Electricians Anonymous?"

In the words of "Duff Man"...
"Ohhh, Yaaahhhhh!!!"

Scott35

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard