ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 355 guests, and 38 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#109863 12/23/05 09:10 PM
Y
The Home Owner attended a class at Home Depot on "Service Changes"

Just curious: You know how every Home Depot (Lowe's too, for that matter) has a mock-up of a service with a subpanel, usually mounted to a structural column, to show DIYers how they're supposed to look? Has anybody ever seen one that was done right?

The ones I've seen usually have the MBJ missing in the service panel, or the neutral and ground connected to the same bus in the sub, or both. Other errors abound. I've never seen one that was right.

If any ECN member has seen one of these done correctly, please speak up!

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

#109864 12/24/05 12:14 AM
B
The Lowes near my house has a service/sub-panel display that's sort-of right. If the service panel had the main in it, everything would be copacetic, but they use a MLO panel and neglect to include the service disco. or any of the grounding/bonding issues that involves.

I'm really amazed that these places even offer a DIY Service seminar. Seems like anyone who knows enough to install a service would know that isn't a project you can or should advocate for the average electrically-ignorant HO. What's next? Maybe a course on how to build your own glue-lam structural trusses. [Linked Image]

-John

#109865 03/05/06 10:02 PM
S
In florida a homeowner can only work on a private residence.A business owner cannot do his own work legally anyway.Most times the utlity will not connect unless inspector calls them personally.Hard to feel sorry for a laywer is'nt it.

#109866 03/06/06 04:04 AM
Surfin'sparky,
Is that the same as a Landlord doing his own work?.
To cut costs?.

#109867 03/06/06 10:21 AM
I
Surfinsparky,
Welcome to ECN. It's nice to see another Brevardian on here.

[This message has been edited by IanR (edited 03-06-2006).]

#109868 03/06/06 02:49 PM
M
Question: If that new gutter on the right is supposed to be weatherproof (nema 3R), what's with the KO on the cover?

If the wiring inside those gutters is as bad as this guy's conduit-fitting... [Linked Image]

I don't understand what's going on with the hanging meter to the right? Is (or was) he in the process of replacing this somehow?

Mike (mamills)

#109869 03/06/06 07:28 PM
S
Hey what's up their Ian.I live in M.I.The county usually will not issue a permit to anyone without a license unless they are the resident of the structure.ie no homeowner permit for an apartment bldg.Of course does the law get followed to the leter?

#109870 03/06/06 07:44 PM
R
Never fails "home-wrecker how to".. It just blows my mind how big places like that try to teach people to make repairs
or installations and make things dangerous..... Friend of mine went in the big "orange" looking to buy a Co/ALR" receptacle.. (for me to replace) They sold her no-alox and setscrew wirenuts that are not compatible with AL wire... The salesperson " Recomended those as that was his way of doing it".

They even sell parts to do your own gas fitting!!
Some things should not be touched by the HO but with parts readily availible that allows homeowners or "Wanna be tradespeople" to think they can tackle all..

Maybe the 'big orange should teach courses on "What to do when your house catches fire" or " What to do when you smell gas"...

I have a question about that meter socket I see above... Normal for a 5-jaw meter socket??? I am just curious, all resi services here are 4-jaw..

A.D

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard