ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
S
For all 3 photos see 300.11(2)(c) NEC 2002
"Cable wiring methods shall not be used as a means of support for other cables,raceways,or nonelectrical equipment."

Photos 1&2 NEC 2002 See 300.4(D) "In both exposed and concealed locations, where a cable- or raceway-type wiring method is installed parallel to framing members, such as joists, rafters, or studs, the cable or raceway shall be installed and supported so that the nearest outside surface of the cable or raceway is not less than 1-1/4" from the nearest edge of the framing member where nails or screws are likely to penetrate."

Picture 2, where the romex is taken up and over the back side of the box, the romex is clearly less than 1-1/4" to the nearest framing member. now, whether or not they are "likely" to become penetrated is up to the AHJ. Why not just come out of the bottom of the box and know it is safe from the drywallers?

Picture 1- 200.7(c)(2) NEC 2002 Unless i mis-interperate this article, a grounded conductor can be re-identified as an un-grounded conductor if it is used as the supply to the switch, and not as a return conductor from the switch to the switched outlet. the conductor shall be re-identified to indicate its use by painting or other effective means at its termination and at each location where the conductor is visible and accessible.

I would consider using a white wire as a traveller to be a violation: 1) it is not for use as "the supply to the switch" and 2) is shall be permenantly reidentified if it is no longer used as a grounded conductor

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

A
I would have to pick up my clip board and put on my hobnailed boots for this one.
I would not approve this installation.
The NM cables are not secure, they can slide in the looping. It is not secure.
Alan--

Alan--
If it was easy, anyone could do it.
E
The NM cables are not secure, they can slide in the looping. It is not secure.
They can also slip in stackers, ty wraps, and properly installed staples.

Haven't seem this handiwork around here....yet. As to getting a 'pass'; reasoning with Bob's explanation, it's "strapped", so no 'red sticker'.

"Workmanship" is not a violation that can be cited in NJ; that also saves a lot of 'reds'

John

John
M
That sure looks like ent is going into an attic in the picture with the panel board. Don't know where the picture was taken, but most attics will get above 50 dg centigrade ambient at some point. Ent is not allowed to be used in ambient above 50 dg centigrade.

J
It doesn't look like complete romex to me. It only looks like the outer casing, at least in the center picture.

[This message has been edited by jdevlin (edited 12-14-2005).]

S
Is this how we want to teach our apprentice electrician's? Ok it might work as good as another strapping method but the piece of romex is not a U.L. approved method for support, and not to mention the multiple cables in one romex clamp and the use of the ENT in the attic are surely violations. That being said look up article 110.12, from the 2005 handbook, Examples of installations that do not qualify as "neat and workmanlike" include exposed runs of cables or raceways that are improperly supported(e.g., sagging between supports or use of improper support methods) etc., and I know it says exposed but come on make it code compliant and nice looking even if it is going to be covered with sheetrock, that is why we use this thing called the NEC.

the piece of romex is not a U.L. approved method for support,

UL only "lists" materials for use, "Approval" is up to the AHJ.
Other non-UL supports include Unistrut and clamps, staples, one and two hole straps, wood, angle iron.....well, you get the idea.
I agree with Electricmanscott. Limburger-stink-cheesy, but gets the job done.
Nothing that you'd teach someone to do.

W
Actually, I kinda like this method of support, or at least the idea of it. I've never tried this myself.

It seems to me that something like this has the benefit of sufficiently supporting the cables while at the same time being more forgiving of small movement. A cable staple becomes a focus for any tension on that cable, but these straps would be somewhat flexible, and would 'give' if the support structure moves slightly.

-Jon

OK, as I said above, based on Iwire's thoughts, I would not fail the use of NM jacket as a strap/support. It is NOT something I as an EC would do.

The only place that I have seen ENT is in a few masonry driveway pillars as a 'sleeve'. Noone uses it around here.

BTW; welcome to SD

John

John
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard