ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 398 guests, and 10 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#107564 09/12/04 07:26 PM
P
Seeing only the cardboard as a problem is a little 'shortsighted'.
How about the panel mounted on a cabinet. How about the conductors not supported to the enclosured. How about the bundling. How about taped breakers, how about the transformer installed on a combustible surface (construction paper), how about the support of conductors supplying the transformer, how about working clearance, how about the panel labeling not being complete, how about the water bottle sitting on top of the cabinet above the panel and transformer, how about the screws missing on the panel cover, how about the open trough covers, how about the use of cardboard to protect the NM cable entering the panel enclosure.

As I am not there, I would be suspect from what I can see about the: grounding of the transformer, and the panel it self. The wiring in the ceiling shows the lack of concern for one of the most important aspects of our industry - PRIDE!!!

Pierre

Pierre Belarge
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

#107565 09/13/04 05:42 AM
I
iwire Offline OP
Mike sorry I took a while to get back to these questions.

1. What kind of main lug amperage could be encountered in these panels,

2. Is there a main disconnect of some sort located in this electric room (or somewhere nearby),

I do not know how to perform arc fault calculations but what I do know of them it would be high. This store has it's own 13 KV to 480 V pad mount transformer located outside as close to the main disconnect in this electric room as possible. It is not more than 50' of conductor from that transformer to the lugs of the main. From what I understand this will provide one heck of a flash.

The Main disconnect is located in this electric room in picture one you can see the main gear on the extreme right side of the picture.

Typically for these stores it is 1,200 to 1,600 amps @ 480, I did not check the rating of the service in this particular store. The one good point is it has GFP protection.

3. Referring to the first picture, what is going on in the very large panel across the aisle from the SqD add-on panel? It looks like it's "taped up" also.

I could not get a good picture of that section but it looks the same as the gear in pictures 4 and 5. It is fusible disconnect gear being partly modified to breakers.

I agree with Pierre this is a total lack of pride in the work. [Linked Image]

I also maintain that there are some truly dangerous issues in here.

Not to say we are perfect either, one of our service guys went on a service call to a building that the construction guys are remodeling. The service guy took photos and gave them to our safety officer. The job Foreman and the PM got their rear side chewed off for what showed in the pictures and it was nothing like the mess in my photos.

Bob

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
#107566 09/13/04 10:41 AM
S
In your picture of the panel the breaker schedule shows the contractor name and client name. Unless you want this info added to the discussion, I recommend you blur out the breaker schedule.

As far as non identifing information, the BBB gives the contractor a satsifactory ranking. This looks like a very small company (3 employees). The state has had some paperwork issues and their bussiness license seems to be in arrears.

Its kind of scary what is available about anyone on the internet.

SD

SD
It is best for a leader to be both feared and loved. But since this usually cannot be done, it is safer to be feared.
#107567 09/13/04 04:25 PM
I
iwire Offline OP
Strangedog the panel was a used one I doubt very much that the info on the panel is the installing contractor. The panel schedule did not match the job. [Linked Image]

And yes you can find a lot out on the net.

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard