ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 516 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
I can't see what kind of knockout the utility outlet is run through but I'd suspect it really should have its own ground.

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

D
What is the point to a gutter box for NM? I've never seen this before, and how are the conductors ran? Is it just a gutter box with NM clamps on top with all conductors running through a chase nipple and terminating at the panel (from what I can see)? Seems clean, especially if you have a decent sized panel with lots of circuits.

richard said:

Do the coiled feeders at top create an additional magnetic "choke effect"?

Nope, they're what I call "burn loops" [Linked Image] in other words, an extra length of wire in case a lug burns out, so you don't (might not) have to replace the feeder.

And in some cases, making a loop makes it easier to get the conductor into the lug as well.

Stupid should be painful.
Thanks for that info. I had always done that for that reason, but an electrician had told me that it was better to bring them straight in. It is nice to hear that there is nothing wrong with that.

Since we are on the subject of coiled wires, what is the purpose of the factory coil of the neutral of a gfi breaker?

Sorry, I hit the send button too fast. If you didn't install it coiled (the neutral), would it be a violation?

C
From what I see, the gutter frees space on the board for comms gear.

S
I'll never understand why people make that loop in the feeder before tightening it to the lugs. I never do that. Even on a 200 amp MB Panel there's really no need to do it, copper or aluminum.

As far as the gutter is concerned, I don't like the big ole chase nipple that I hope was used. I really see no reason why that splice box was needed to begin with.

shockme77:

Nope, they're what I call "burn loops" in other words, an extra length of wire in case a lug burns out, so you don't (might not) have to replace the feeder.

And in some cases, making a loop makes it easier to get the conductor into the lug as well.

Like most things on installs, some people swear by 'em, some people swear at them! [Linked Image]

Stupid should be painful.
W
What does AHJ stand for and what is the job of the AHJ?

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard