ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
2 members (gfretwell, Scott35), 419 guests, and 27 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
R
Sorry Joe, but this is an approved piece of electrical equipment. The prongs are polarized (one is larger than the other). It probably goes to a unit that has double insulation, which of course does not require a ground connection.

The lack of an actual elecrtrical connection for the ground plug is the clue. the mold used for making this plug can be used for either a grounded or a non-grounded plug.

Of course it could be a bad plug, but I don't think so.

Rick Miell

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

P
Mxslick,

Maybe it's a silly post. But my point is it seems rather stupid to me that people go around loosing control over this kind of thing while there are, in fact, things more worthy of our attention.

I know it's an electrical forum. But "Russian roulette"?

Sam, San Francisco Bay Area
S
Rick Miell:
Sorry Joe, but this is an approved piece of electrical equipment. The prongs are polarized (one is larger than the other).

Rick are you sure the pins are polarized and its just not the fact that they apper to be bent that makes you think they are polarized?

For the record, I've also seen a lot of Chinese extension cords and cordsets sold with polarized AND grounded three-pin plugs. Maybe as a double-protection kind of thing? Keeps the plug polarized even if the ground pin breaks off...

I've never seen non-grounded 2-pin only plugs look like that. All the molded two-pin plugs I've always run across are flat things that look like:

[Linked Image from fs548.com]

You can be sure that this was an extension cord supplied for use during a seminar and was not what you think or assume it is!

I have many images that are similar.

The lost EGC could mean death to the uninformed, even if they are scholars in the electrical sciences, mslick you said it

Huh?

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
I apologize for the double post, my computer stopped responding, and it came up as two posts after I restarted it. The Wiremold receptacle was mounted horizontally, it was one of those strip receptacles.

Is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?
B
Plugmold?

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard