ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 335 guests, and 35 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
E
I have a few fluorescent shop lights plugged in in this manner in my basement (only one per porcelean fixture). Is this contrary to code? Is this an unsafe practice,
Yes, there is no way to bond the metal parts of the fixture. Especially bad if the fixture is low enough to touch while standing on the concrete(I assume)floor.

John
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

S
John Steinke said:
I believe that fluorescent ballasts often require a good ground in order to work properly.

The temporary-use metal fluorescent shop-lights I've seen all have three-pin grounding connections, I assume to ground the metal shell of the lamp in case of stray currents?

However I've seen some plastic fluorescent lights with two pin plugs.

Would the proper way to solve this issue be to replace the ceramic light fixtures with properly grounded receptacles in the ceiling boxes and plug the shop lights directly into that? Locate the receptacle near enough to the lights so that you don't have to rely on an extension to add length to the lamp-cord?

I have seen stores where window signs are plugged into ceiling mounted receptacles...so I assume this should be fine.

I've seen this item - a porcelain lightsocket with a grounded receptacle on the side:
[img]http://images.lowes.com/product/032664/032664259708.jpg?wid=158&cvt=jpeg]http://images.lowes.com/product/032664/032664259708.jpg?wid=158&cvt=jpeg[/img]

Would this be kosher? Granted you still have the issue of the exposed bulb-socket if all you are using is the receptacle on the side.

[This message has been edited by SvenNYC (edited 10-21-2004).]

B
I don't believe a ground is required for operation of a flouresent light. I have a trouble light with a 2 wire cord and it works fine.

J
Big Jim- I also have a fixture with a two-prong plug, and those compact fluorescents obviously don't have a ground.
Yet, I have noticed many ballasts stress the need for a ground in their instructions. Most of these seem to be the 'instant-on' or electronic ballast types, so I can only guess that the ground path is used as a neutral for the electronics when the fixture is 'off.'

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard