For one, they make gas instahot heaters that do not have electrical controls at all. One type I have seen used recently you had to light a pilot lite in it. And one I came across about 2 years back had a device that sparked and struck a flame when the water flowed thru the pipes. It used the flow of the water . I used to see hot water heaters with constant pilot light years ago, but not lately. Most of those require 120 volt ignition.

macmikeman- In these aforementioned appliances were the piping for the gas and the piping for the water mechanically tied together on the appliance? If they weren't, I wonder what size the bonding jumper would be since the sizing is based on 250.104(B). Probably #14 AWG.

Edited for this added thought-

Plus we have the added issue of "may become energized" and I wonder how it will become energized with no electricity going to it. Now if we determine that it "may become energized" we are required to bond the gas line with an unknown size of conductor to the GEC, Grounding Electrode etc. etc.

[This message has been edited by George Little (edited 09-23-2006).]

George Little