OK this one is giving me bad dreams... As I too do this all the time.... NM to EMT, and FMC to EMT, and it sounds as though I'm just learning something new... Or am I?

300.15 Boxes, Conduit Bodies, or Fittings — Where Required.
A box shall be installed at each outlet and switch point for concealed knob-and-tube wiring.
Fittings and connectors shall be used only with the specific wiring methods for which they are designed and listed. (new sentance)
Where the wiring method is conduit, tubing, Type AC cable, Type MC cable, Type MI cable, nonmetallic-sheathed cable, or other cables, a box or conduit body complying with Article 314 shall be installed at each conductor splice point, outlet point, switch point, junction point, termination point, or pull point, unless otherwise permitted in 300.15(A) through (M).

That sounds OK, fitting and connectors need to be designed and listed for the wiring method. Next sentance... No splice or pull point, no box or conduit body required....unless otherwise permitted in 300.15(A) through (M). Most are points where a box or condulet are not required, except "C" which allows all of my NM to EMT/RMC points and it makes no mention of it being accessible. Then, all the rest of the letters. (with as we know from elementary school includes "F") But "F" has a contradiction to this... Theres no mention of transition between conduit or tubing systems....

(F) Fitting. A fitting identified for the use shall be permitted in lieu of a box or conduit body where conductors are not spliced or terminated within the fitting. The fitting shall be accessible after installation.

Commentary: (NOT CODE...)
Where a cable system makes a transition to a raceway to provide mechanical protection against damage, 300.15(F) permits the use of a fitting instead of a box. For example, where nonmetallic-sheathed cable that runs overhead on floor joists and drops down on a masonry wall to supply a receptacle needs to be protected from physical damage, a short length of raceway is installed to the outlet device box. The cable sheath is removed for the length of the raceway. The cable is then inserted in the raceway and secured by a combination fitting that is fastened to the end of the raceway.

A "fitting" could mean a lot of things.... NM-EMT coupling (Which I often use) Or a FMC-EMT coupling (Which I also use) But would also include regular EMT couplings. Really if you bite hard on this definition below one could include straps too....

Fitting. An accessory such as a locknut, bushing, or other part of a wiring system that is intended primarily to perform a mechanical rather than an electrical function.

So, I just learning something new?
Would either the NM-EMT connection, or the FMC-EMT connection be required to be accessible?

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason