.........."Where a push button is used as a means to disconnect power, pushing the button SHALL disconnect the power."

This article does not limit the disconnecting means to be an EPO. You could group disconnects at the door. I wonder if this would relate to how the attached push button can be wired. Meaning maybe I want the button to put the UPS into bypass from a remote location and will use another means to disconnect the power.

And then 645.11......"Shall comply with 645.10. The disconnecting means SHALL also disconnect the battery from it's load.

( I still have not figured out why the NEC doesn't just finish the matter and replace all "shall's " with must.)

In any case power off is power off and not just bypass. I would not want to be a fire fighter going into that room with anything at all live. Is the EPO tied into the fire suppression and or preaction system as well?

I would not want any "live" equipment if either or both of those systems went into alarm either.

The battery issue has gotten so "HOT" in my area that some jurisdictions are requiring that the batteries be put in a room remote from the computer room.

[This message has been edited by kentvw (edited 01-19-2005).]