As some may know, I'm writing a lesson on K&T wiring, because I am sick of explaining it....

Anyway, in the course of doing so I came upon a code that I have debated to my advantage a few times, and lost a few times... (interpritation/general additude of AHJ wise)

Posting to get some feed-back from what I often refer to as "The Wider Electrical World", you guys.....

Code in question is:

406.3 D(3)(c) A nongrounding-type receptacle(s) shall be permitted to be replaced with a grounding-type receptacle(s) where supplied through a ground-fault circuit interrupter. Grounding-type receptacles supplied through the ground-fault circuit interrupter shall be marked “GFCI Protected” and “No Equipment Ground.” An equipment grounding conductor shall not be connected between the grounding-type receptacles.

For instance you have a customer who wants to have non-grounded, K&T fed devices match the rest of thier whimical design of having hot pink decora duplex recepticals...

Could you not take the entire 2-wire circuit and put it on a a GFCI breaker, or even a AFCI breaker with class A GFI protection? Provided you marked every outlet with “GFCI Protected” and “No Equipment Ground.”

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason