I think the code folks tried to say one thing....and flubbed it.

Think for a moment, comparing the tub at your local "health club" to the tub in your backyard.

The one in your yard almost certainly has a pool-side air-operated switch that will control the pumps. This "non-electric" switch is, as far as I am concerned, all the disconnect that's needed for bather safety.

The big 'community' tub at the health club is a different beast altogether. I's likely to be a custom fabricated tile & concrete monster, with the pumps located far away, behind a locked door. The pumps are likely to be quite a bit larger- perhaps large enough to stick someone to the inlet on the bottom of the tub.
I think we can see the need here for a readily accessible shut-off.

I don't think the shut off is required for the convenience of the maintenence folks, as it is for HVAC equipment. That is, I believe, another issue.

The "5 ft. rule" may make sense, if you're thinking of an electric switch. I am a little surprised that the switch is not specifically required to be either in a weather-tight enclosure, nor be GFI protected.
The rule, however, does not seem to admit the existance of the common air-operated switchs that are found on pre-fab tub assemblies.