Bob,

In the industrial and commercial office sites, they have been lax for years on both getting permits, and having work inspected, some claim they are not subject to inspections, this discussion continues to come up, repair and maintain is one thing, but new plant construction, or office fit-up's should have permits and inspections, and i see more areas requiring these jobs to be filed, which usually require a sealed print and inspection form, some of these jobs are getting a plan review, and some are approved without the process, but every area has different ways of operating, so this may not hold true for all areas.
When these sites are inspected, the agency doing the inspection needs up to date information, and if it is a design build project as many are today, what you are saying is exactly what many do.

"Change / move / delete lighting fixtures...err ...luminaires I would be very surprised (shocked even) if the building dept gets updated drawings."
Right, 99% of the time when this work is done, they don't, update or apply for permits, and every excuse from, it dosen't apply to us, or i will be thrown off the job by the building management, if i apply for a permit, to the other guy is not getting permits, but i got hit, for not permitting, some of these jobs, and it was not easy to recover from the mess it left, Yes you can go thru a red light, but one time or another, there will be a ticket or an accident.
In my opinion updating prints helps everyone, but i can see you point on this issue.

"But there some things that we need to be sure happen and I feel very strongly about 410.8 and the plans are a tool I use for this compliance."

Keep up the good work George.

[This message has been edited by LK (edited 06-26-2005).]