Bonding of a pool and bonding of a buildings structural steel are alike...there are both keeping parts of a steel structure and electrical equipment at the same potential in case they do become energized.

I disagree, the section in question 250.104 is not all about keeping everything the same potential, that section is there to cause an overcurrent device to operate if the steel becomes energized by a circuit conductor.

The bonding at a pool is there to keep all things that you can come in contact with at the same potential even during a fault condition when that bonding system has a potential above earth.

Isolated sections of structural steel are not a pool, a pool is different, pools have different bonding requirements because they are....well..different. [Linked Image]

I mean no disrespect here but I have no idea why you think that "structural steel setting on concrete in direct contact with the earth" in of itself is dangerous.

If thats so should I bond my child's swing set?

What about a metal folding chair sitting on a concrete slab?

wouldn't this structural building steel in George Little's 1st post be exposed to stray voltage from maybe, deteriorating utility neutral conductors in the area like a pool would

Please explain how this isolated piece of steel would be affected by a bad utility neutral.

How about stray voltage that may be present in the earth seeking a path throught the concrete to the steel set upon it?

There is no path until you bond it.

Current does not flow without a complete circuit.

I would take back the inspector comment but statements like this;

may become energized by a faulty extension cord coming in contact with the steel

Leads me to believe you have a serious misunderstanding of this section.

If we accept your extension cord scenario the next question would have to be why limit bonding to isolated sections of structural steel, why not require all metal objects in a building to be bonded?

File cabinets, suspended ceiling grids etc.

At any rate we have certainly proved George Littles point. [Linked Image]

I feel I should say my opinions are my own and not those of ECN.

All are welcome to disagree. [Linked Image]

Bob

[This message has been edited by iwire (edited 02-13-2005).]

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts