Hi,
I went to college in Maine and that is where I first encountered a jurisdiction that allows this. I later found out that it is done a lot in new england and some in kentucky.

Most other states and places that were not states would not allow this.

I see it all the time and yes it is permitted by the code BUT that depends on who you ask I guess.

I have seen the old and the new SE Cable setups and some of the older ones are pretty scary the way some of them terminate from the cable and weatherhead etc.

It is a cheap way to do it that is for sure!

I have never tried it but it looks like a quick install.

That is why I think that the code needs to change and to require the FIRST OCPD to be mounted adjacent to the METERBASE. I have seen some meters at the transformer so I do not know how well that would work out but it would settle a lot of arguments! Besides how many closets, cabinets, garages and god only knows what other locations meters and panels seem to end up. I saw one the other day that was a 42 circuit sq-d 200A main b panel full to the gills INSIDE of a ENTERTAINMENT CENTER. I had to lay on my stomach and lean in to get the cover off!

Another interesting thing I saw..someone had used the meterbase as a raceway and ran some 2/0 back out through the nipple to the meterbase and out the bottom of the meterbase to a new pool!

The poco will nail them the next time they read it...maybe!

Shoot even a 4 conductor 200 or 300A feeder with a breaker ahead of it is scary enough!

I do not want to find out how long it would take for the breaker to trip if I accidentally got into it!

I think when the code says "PHYSICAL PROTECTION" a se cabl with no protection between the xfmr and the first ocpd is exactly what they were talking about!

Very interesting topic though!

Regards

Greg