Just found out that we had a business operating in the "old" industrial park in town that is re-packaging flammables (solvents and such) from 55 gallon drums into quart containers for distribution and sales.

I haven't been down there yet to see the process in action, but I asked the Fire Inspector if he was going to require Haz Location wiring in the fill room. He gave me a blank stare and responded that he didn't know. He then asked my opinion, stating that it was an "open" type fill (I believe an automated open type fill nozzle into individual container spouts... no fancy "vapor proof" system.) I am also unsure about the absence or presence of positive pressure ventingm but the structure was not set up for any Haz Location before, so I don't anticipate anything other than EMT raceways and 12AWG conductors... our "commercial" requirements under City Electrical Code ('96 NEC Ref.).

We have another business in town that repacks quarts and 55's from supply tanks up to 5,000 gallon in capacity. Their fill rooms have improved "provable" ground systems (about time... the last three fires there were due to improper grounding practices :rolleyes [Linked Image], and Class I Div 1 wiring - everything is sealed, RMC/IMC and XP fixtures.

I realize that I can't make a true determination until I go down there and physically see the facility; I also realize that I'm not a "Real" AHJ and am serving more as an advisor to the Fire Inspector. But, at least I know my limitations, and have ECN as a resource!

Any opinions are welcome.

Thanks in advance, Doug.