I am an electrical engineering student working on a renewable energy (solar, wind, etc) project for homes. I have a few general code questions.
1) Can you use 12VDC on normal hose wiring components (light switches, boxes, etc.) I know to follow current guidelines and keep it seperate from 120/240V. Or do I have to use switches specially made for 12V?
2) Can I use Romex/THHN/etc. with the same current that the NEC states for 120VAC use, or is it different for 12VDC loads? (I have a book that breifly touches electronics and low voltage stuff, and it says 9amps for #12 wire, but I think they are just being "too safe" in case anyone decides to try the experiments at home)
3)Can I use romex that I mark "12VDC" or do I have to use another system such as conduit and THHN? I know lower voltage wires don't really need protected, like door bells, but I'm dealing with wires that are protected at 20A per branch
4) are there color codes for 12VDC? I've seen Red positive Black Negative, but is that set in stone, or is it a well adopted practice?
5) Does the NEC have anything on battery boxes or battery rooms for lead acid batteries (vetalation, heating, etc)
6) Can anyone point me to a web site that sells 12VDC outlets that fit in a normal electrical box?

Thanks for any help that anyone can give me. I know a little about code..... enough to rewire a house and torque the lugs on stuff, but past that I am still learning code, as it may help me get farther as an EE (ya know, like inventing an outlet that tells you how many amps you have left before the breaker blows... or the outlet with the grounds up... and down... LOL)