I'm kind of new to this stuff. I'll try to explain the whole thing in as few words as possible:

We have had some questions arise here at work about if there is a distance that you have to have a main power cutoff from a distribution box? We are not talking about residential work, what we do is build mobile communications systems. So we run tactical generators to an automatic transfer switch, then off to distribution boxes, to outlet boxes etc.

We are in the process of adding another distribution box that will supply power to up to 6 - 10 ton HVAC systems, and it also has a feed thru to go to the rest of the system. We are trying to figure out if we need to have a circuit breaker in the new distro box or not (is almost $2000 cheaper if not installed).

The company LEX POWER is building this junction box for us and they had a main 400amp circuit breaker, but it only cut power off to the 6 outlets for the generator and not to the feed thru. (my opinion put the 400 amp breaker in the distro box, but make it kill power to the whole system and not just to the HVACS)

any info would be greatly appreciated.

The generator would be no more than 100 foot away from the new distro box.

Thanks in advance