Hello Bill
sorry I am responding so late to you.
I read my post, must have been dilusional that day.

The different areas of a standard, although would seem to be related sometimes are not.
Point in hand, a dwelling unit kitchen and a commercial kitchen.
In a dwelling kitchen the cleaning methods are much different. The Health department does not inspect them, even though some should be.
In the commercial kitchens, the health department makes inspections for cleanliness. Because of this, the kitchens are mostly cleaned daily. Today these kitchens are being cleaned a lot of times with a 'washdown'. The reason for the 2002 code change in a kitchen is two fold.
1. The wash down creates a hazard for the cleaner.
2. The equipment in kitchens today are required to be on wheels for access to clean behind them. The people doing the cleaning are using the receptacles behind the equipment to plug in their cleaning equipment.

There have been reported injuries and death from shock, therefore the code change.
So the two different kitchens create different requirements.
Just a note. The GFCI protection for the fridges, can be a breaker. Most of the commercial equipment requires its own circuit anyway.
A friend of mine wired a huge commercial kitchen and was called in because the cleaning crew was experiencing shocks. I wired a commercial kitchen (stainless steel walls) next door to his job and because of his experience I used 'in use' covers and GFCI breakers. The cook was screaming at me because he said his food would go bad. Its 2 1/2 years later there has not been one problem. As a matter of fact I am getting married there Friday.

Pierre

[This message has been edited by PCBelarge (edited 07-22-2003).]

Pierre Belarge