I would advise anyone who does not work in the industry to call everytime a problem arises. Please, do not try to work on it yourself. I get calls all the time, and usually try to "trouble shoot" the problem over the phone. I try to get an understanding of the person's knowledge, needs, and expectations, and work from there.
Example:
A gentleman called about a lift station that had two pumps on it. We talked about how the lift station operated, and he told me that one of the motors would trip the overloads after running for a few hours. I told him to uncouple the pump from the motor, and run it for several hours. If it trips the overloads while uncoupled from the pump, I would say that the bearings in the motor are about to fail, improperly sized overloads, etc., etc., etc. He was so greatful that I didn't send a service truck out with a two hour minimum charge, and chances were that it was the pump, not the motor. He didn't call back. I'll bet he had a pump problem. If he calls next week, and there is still a problem, I'll send truck out then.
Example 2:
Mrs. Jones' bathroom receptacle won't work. Mrs. J: "Sonny my plug won't work in the bathroom." I reply, "Mrs. Jones, do you have a cordless phone?" She says, "Speak up sonny, I can't hear you on this phone my daughter gave me. You know the kind that you can take all over the house." "Mrs. Jones would you walk into your restroom?" She does. "Mrs. Jones, is there a button on the plug that is not working?" "Sonny, you're a smart fellow. Yes, there is!", she replies.
"Ma'am, please push that button", I respond.
"Does it work now, Ma'am?" "Mrs. Jones, how old is your hair dryer?" She quacks, "Sonny, I bought that thing just after the liberation of France in WW II. Oh, it's my favorite hair dryer." I resound, "Mrs. Jones, I thought we agreed last month that you would replace that old thing. I think you have gotten your money's worth out of it." "Well, if I have too", she cries. "It was good talking to you Ma'am. Talk to you next month. Bye."

The Watt Doctor does make house calls.
Regards,
Greg
HMEL 688

The Watt Doctor
Altura Cogen
Channelview, TX