Nick,

I haven't yet run into this. Is this something that begins this year? [01-01-2002]

In a way, we have been using the CEC since 1978 - in the form of the California Energy Conservation Requirements [AKA Title 24, part 6].
The other trades would be doing installs according to the California Codes too, since there installs will fall somehow within either Title 24 or CalDag [California Disabled Accessibility Guidebook] - an ADA thing.
These would be CBC [Ca. Building Code], CFC [Ca. Fire Code], CMC [Ca. Mechanical Code], CPC [Ca. Plumbing Code] and The Ca. Elevator Safety Codes.

Track records for projects since last July:

Murrieta, Ca. Using 1996 NEC,
Seal Beach, Ca. Using either 1996 or 1999 NEC,
Fullerton, Ca. Using 1999 [just adopted],
Mission Viejo, Ca. Using 1999 NEC,
County of Los Angeles, Ca. Using 1998 CEC / 1999 LA County Elect. Code,
Pasadena, Ca. Using 1999 NEC,
Azusa, Ca. Using 1996 NEC,
Claremont, Ca. Using 1996 NEC.

On the Bank Branch projects we do, there is another compliance issue to be considered - which overrides Title 24's lighting restrictions. It's the lighting around ATMs.
Commonly known as "AB-244" from the Assembly Bill # 244, it was passed into law and became FC 13000 [Financial Code 13000].

Lastly, I can think of one common CEC / CBC item that has appeared over the last few years - the Seismic Requirements of new Switchgear and Panelboards [are Transformers Seismic rated too now??? It's been over 3 years since I have landed a brand new Xformer].

City / County of LA has things like Hard Wired Disposals and Dishwashers [I'm talking Commercial installs here], along with the more restrictive installation techniques of items in T-Bar ceilings.
Can't think of too many indifferences off hand, maybe since I have done so much work in LA it's almost second nature to install as that code requires.

Scott SET

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!