My nephew is a contractor in Michigan. His business plan includes building a home for himself every two years and then selling it and building again.

He does this for tax reasons.

He also did his own rough electric in his house. He lacks an electrical license. He does have a permit and because he is the property owner he can do the electrical work.

He asked me to do the finished electric. I made several observations while doing so. (I did so without a license as I was only asked to install recepts, fans and the like.

First, his planning was bad. I have no idea why a circuit would handle an outdoor outlet, one dining room light (out of 3) and one living room light (out of 8 and on the side away from the dining room).

Second, he had hard to find mistakes. He had a light and ceiling fan sharing a box but powered by different breakers. This is a real bad place to share a neutral. (I tied the breakers together.) In the middle of a 20amp circuit he had a 14g wire. (This was do to a change in his wiring plans.) I changed to a 15amp breaker.

An inspector would never catch these mistakes. He does not have the time to spend.

-----

I do wiring on property I own without a license.