Typical SE-U with aluminum conductors is not identified for underground use, in raceway or not. It’s because the bare aluminum conductor is subject to corrosion. If it is copper SE-U, then the cable assembly must be specifically identified for use underground.

Type USE is permitted to be installed underground (338-1b) but only where emerging outdoors at electrical equipment (338-2). Type USE is not permitted to be installed indoors, in raceway or not. Individual conductors of THW, THHW, THWN, XHHW (found in SE-U) and RHW-2 (commonly used for trailer feeders) are OK for wet locations and indoors. Any of these cable insulations must be in a raceway that extends from the basement panel to a point outside the structure. The only two cable types I know of that can be run as the main service/feeder indoors without raceway are SE-U and SE-R, neither of which can be direct buried. Splicing is not advised. Use PVC. Arrange raceways to drain.

The original post did not describe the equipment on the pole and I find it doubtful that the utility would permit unfused service conductors to run 30 feet from a customer pole to a structure and not require a service disconnect at the pole. Indeed, since the original inspector did not take exception to the 12 feet from the point of entry to the panel, I would suspect that there IS a disconnect at the pole and these are not service conductors but feeder conductors.

If so, the feeder neutral conductor should be insulated, the feeder cable should include an equipment grounding conductor that runs from the pole service equipment grounding lug or neutral bar in to the basement panel equipment grounding bar (not neutral bar), the structure’s metal water system AND at least one ground rod should be bonded to the basement panel equipment grounding bar (not neutral bar) and the basement panel neutral bar should be left unbonded. Circuits fed by the panel should be wired with neutrals on the neutral bar and EGCs on the ground bar. In some cases you may be permitted to omit the grounding conductor from the feeder, bond the basement panel neutral and treat it as a service disconnect. That is up to the local AHJ.

If the utility really does permit the metered service conductors to be run unfused from the pole to the structure, then all the normal service requirements would apply, in addition to the cable insulation requirements above. I would expect the utility to want a disconnect though or at least to bury unfused conductors at least 24 inches in raceway or not.

If there are errors found in my assertions, NEC references would be appreciated.

[This message has been edited by Max Summerville (edited 09-02-2001).]