My introduction to the electrical field, was at a Naval Technical Training Center. The school I attended was "Aircraft Electrician, Class A".
I was taught that the term "bonding" was to provide an electrical connection between two conductive objects, to insure a viable low resistance current path. This was often a necessary procedure on aircraft, for both the DC and AC systems. It was not only for carrying fault current it was for completing a circuit, in many cases.
I personally feel that calling the conductor to a water pipe, gas pipe, or any other conductive object, that requires grounding, does not fit the definition of a bonding conductor. I think it should be called a piping system ground wire, and nothing else.
Bonding conductors do not always connect to the neutral buss. A ground conductor does.
I think this adds confusion to the proper terminology, in reference to the purpose.
I know the common acceptable term is "bond" when referring to the conductor for only fault current purposes. I do not agree.
I am interested in other opinions, and the technological explanations for this determination.