Thanks for the replies, you really are a helpful bunch.

I just wanted to say that on our part and the electric companies there really were a ton of misunderstandings.

Basically the owners son moved out and they agreed to leave the electricity in his name to avoid deposits and such, since no one would be living there for a while (turned out to be around three or four months) so they figured they would get the bill and just pay it as usual, except getting it from the other mail box.

The trouble began because apparently the son disconnected his service, and for a few months the electric company never sent a bill or said anything, after all no electricity was being consumed.

Finally we came and moved in, apparently the electric co saw some juice being used, the week before we moved in I was in there setting things up, including the fridge etc.

They noticed the usage and someone was supossed to come out on the 12th to turn it off.

That's where it gets fishy.

The electricity was never off, and if stealing the electricity would require opening the panel where the meter is, no one here would have done that, because none of us have enough knowledge on how to (I wouldn't even know what to use to connect them) but we have enough knowledge to know that there is enough voltage running through there to fry our asses from here to enternity.

Coincidentally (or not) that is the same time that the electrical problems I linked to above started to happen.

Also the guy that removed the meter never said that we were stealing electricity, he said the guy that came before to disconnect it didn't do it right ?

My main concern right now isn't the 430 we need to reconnect it, those are reasonable fees, and 20 or 25 is no big deal for supossedly stealing electricity.

What I am curious is if this guy could have done something to cause the electrical problems we have, or is it possible that when the meter is put back in the problem will be solved.

Is it possible to screw up closing off the meter ?

From one of the above posts it sounds like it might be possible to do it wrong and cause electrical problems like we are having in the house.

TIA