Sparky,

Looks like you got a whole Smiley Village going on there! [Linked Image]

The reason I had brought this whole question up is that in our area there are maybe 6 or so different agencies approved for inspection. From what I hear, 1 out of the six has started requiring UF in a conduit sleeve when it is outside. (Note that we are talking about above ground installations). Passing an Inspection is not really an issue as the Installer can always go to another Agency for approval. This is more of an academic question, fishing for opinions and interpretations on the code.

To be fair to the whole issue I have to mention that it had brought up elsewhere that the NEC Handbook mentions somewhere that the intent is to include the interior of conduit in the outside location. I have not seen the language (don't have a Handbook) so I don't know exact wording or context. Even though the Handbook cannot be considered as official interpretation on the code (it says that somewhere I think) this must be considered as a "qualified" opinion.

If anyone can find the language (and context) in the Handbook could you post it here?


Bill