I recently upgraded all my X-10 wall switches to Insteon. I have approximately 35 installed throughout, a combination of SwitchLinc V2, RelayLink V2, and KeyPad Linc V2.

I have a major problem with them when the standby generator does its scheduled exercise and switches over to generator power: All of the Insteon controlled lights go absolutely nuts! They randomly blink and flicker wildly. When turning on an Insteon controlled light, a bunch of the other Insteon controlled blink and flicker wildly (apparently in tandem) and the LED's flash very rapidly then go back to normal. But it gets better... after the generator switches back to utility power and the generator shuts down, the Insteon controlled lights STILL continue to randomly blink and flicker - though not as severely as while on generator power.

After several hours of the Insteon controlled lights randomly flickering and blinking on normal utility, not having an idea of what the heck to do, I decided to just shut down the power to the entire house for one minute. After that, everything seemed to return back to normal.

The power from the generator appears clean: 120-121VAC / 240-242VAC, 60Hz... which is better than the utilities 109-121VAC / 198-218VAC power. None of the numerous UPS kick on or boost while on generator power, and computers and other electronics do not act erratically - only the Insteon switches. The main panel has a whole house surge suppressor.

Everything looks OK in the ATS:

[Linked Image from mysite.verizon.net]

I never had this problem with the X-10 switches. Can't imagine going through this everytime the genset excercises.

Generator is an Onan RS12000 and transfer switch is a GE ZTX RM4. Whole house is energized.

I'm at real loss on this one... anyone else run into anything like this? Most of the folks I know only dealt with Lutron and X-10 for home automation.

Thanks in advance!

Joe