I generally catch on pretty quick but I'm still not getting how the program works. I hope you'll bear with me - I can't seem to find this info anywhere else.

From what I have been told, both the JATC and ABC in OC are approved for ET classes.

WECA also told me that their courses were approved but they offer only a few clases in the OC. They mainly work in San Diego and Sac'to. Is there place to check to see if a particular course is approved?

ABC offers classes to anyone.

That squares with what they told me.

There is a different price for members and non-members (if you work for a member contractor).

I was told that this used to be so, but no longer is. The ABC lady told me I had to join if I wanted my crew to enroll in their classes, and brother it ain't cheap. WECA had no such requirement (but we're not through the enrollment process yet, either).

In either situation you don't take classes from the CC, you take them from the JATC or ABC. The CC is more like sponsor to the JATC or ABC.

Which would explain why, when you call a CC, no one has any idea of what you're talking about. I get it.

To take apprenticeship classes, your crew would have to apply, be accepted and then would not be working for you.

I don't understand what you are saying here. Why wouldn't they be working for me?

To keep them legal, they would need to enroll in ET classes.

At the same time as they are taking the apprenticeship classes? Or are apprenticeship classes available only to union members? (Don't care if they are, just want to know).

There's a loophole in the rules in that if you try to enroll and there are no classes available, you are exempt from certification until such time as classes open up. There is paper work to be filed.

Not a prob in the OC; both WECA and ABC told me that they are having trouble filling their classes. I find this astounding, given the number of people working as electricians in the county, and the relatively low percentage of certified electricians.

I had thought we were late coming in, but it looks as though we may actually be early-adopters.