I've also posted this question on the NEC Code Issues section, so I hope I'm not offending protocol my double posting. If so, I appologize in advance.

-

I'm arguing with a low-ball lighting installer about the need for poles to be grounded as well as the luminaires on 12' parking lot lights. The installer seems to think that the mechanical link between the pole and the luminaire is sufficient, so only the luminaire needs to be grounded. I call BS and reference 410.15 (specifically, 410.15(B)(5)) and feel that the code specifies that any metalic pole, 8' or higher, needs to be bonded to ground using the grounding bolt welded to the inside of the hand hole, and using the manufacturer-supplied (and UL listed) gounding hardware. The luminaire, of course, must be grounded ALSO.

My logic is that if, for some reason (corrosion, a hit from a moving truck, etc.), the luminaire becomes detached from the pole, or the mechanical link becomes comprimised in any way, the pole then becomes a possible conductor when/if a fault occurs. Add one barefooted kid leaning on the pole, and we have a tragedy that could have been easily avoided.

BTW, this guy came in to one of the communities that I service and underbid my company on the pole replacements by using "immigrants of questionable legality" to perform the work for him. There was never, to my knowlege, a certified or licensed electrician on site during the entire process. And yes, I may be a little biased in my motives on this issue.

Does anybody think that I'm out of line on this, or am I right? Are there any inspectors here that have run across this issue and made the call either way?

Thanks in advance for your input.