First off, let me say that it is understandable that a potential Customer would want to know approximate costs involved with a project. Especially a Homeowner or someone on a limited budget.

The way I always figured it was that Estimates on installation or replacement are usually straightforward and easier to make a more accurately estimate. And it can usually be figured rather quickly. Estimates on repairs (small job) would have to have some upfront agreement as to a minimum charge if a simple remedy was found or a price range or Labor + Material charge for others.

For those not in the trade that may be reading this and not really understand why - I say a minimum amount (service call charge) to cover time spent commuting and troubleshooting.
Look at it this way, Imagine after traveling 20 miles and spending 45 minutes troubleshooting to find a loose wire that the owner doesn't want to pay 'that much?' for tightening a screw. You're down a couple hours and a gallon of gas and haven't made a dime yet that day.

Bill

[This message has been edited by Bill Addiss (edited 03-02-2001).]

Bill