What a sad, unfortunate event. Steve Irwin was amazing, fun to watch and listen to, and had a real passion for his job. Heck, I don't even think he'd call it a job.

No one should ever take the types of unnecessary risks that he took.

Don, I think I can understand where you're coming from, as your background brings you in direct contact with the consequences of people's actions. But consider this:

I used to race motocross. In three years of riding and racing I can honestly tell you all that the most serious injury I got was a broken middle left toe. And I've come off the bike from 20 feet up in the air! And what happens?:

I was working at a friend's cinema, on the multi-level flat roof. Fell from one level to the next, a drop of about 4-5 feet, and completely shattered every bone in my left wrist. An expensive surgery and wearing a "Terminator" rig on my arm for a month, and I still don't have full use of that wrist. (After 6 years!)

I have friends who play tackle football (and get hurt constantly) and won't go near a bike. I have friends who skydive and won't go near a bike. I know POCO workers who work 12kv and up live and won't go near a bike.

I won't play tackle football, see no reason to jump out of a perfectly good aircraft [Linked Image], and would never work with power lines, live or not.

And there are probably EC's on here who work around high voltage all day and wouldn't touch a bike, either.

The point is simply, Steve Irwin had a passion for animals and studying thier behaviour. I have a passion for motocross and take steps to make it as safe as possible (Protective gear, maintaining the bike and my body, training and practicing jumps, etc.) Everyone has a passion for something that others may consider dangerous. But the danger is indeed part of the reward of doing you job/hobby well.

Was Steve Irwin a risk-taker? Absolutely. Unnecessary risks? Maybe, sometimes. But his passion and humility made him a great man. One who I would not hesitate to have my kids (if I had any) look up to.

R.I.P. Steve. And may God Bless and look after your family.

edited for spelling

[This message has been edited by mxslick (edited 09-05-2006).]

Stupid should be painful.