Bob, I think I'll just agree to agree with you. You wouldn't do it, I wouldn't do it, and the NEC doesn't condone it. I see your point about the trip free aspect. I was just thinking of how I have never had a two pole breaker trip one half of the assembly. My building wiring system experience has been bus maintenance and transportation facilities, rail maintenance and yard facilities, passenger stations and traction power substations. There's lots of misc. stuff thrown in there too. In all of these locations, I have not seen parallel breakers. This is a concept that I had never given any great consideration to until this thread.

"I will now remove my GE service panel and send it to GE with a note that says "Joe says it won't work"."

How about just sending them an Email inquiring as to reports of only one breaker tripping?
Joe

Let me just add that I may have seen panels constructed this way and not realized it. I don't typically ask electricians to take panel covers off to examine the bus work. I do deal with many split panels with lighting contactors and the like.

[This message has been edited by JoeTestingEngr (edited 07-02-2006).]