I'm new here so I'm not really sure how many inspectors we have in our midst but, I'll ask anyway.
Are there any inspectors here that make a point of carding (checking licenses) on every or almost every inspection they perform?
I only ask this because I have noticed a decline in this over the last few years and frankly, having more than a few years left in this trade, it scares me.
The only people that have the authority to protect our trade are the inpectors and lately it seems like none of them are even trying. atleast in the areas I've been working.
I've been licensed for 13 years, first in Fla. later in Mich. and I've been carded twice in my whole career.
Who's making sure that the people performing the work are actually "qualified"?
When I lived in Fl. there were laws on the books that promised up to $2500.00 and up to 90 days in jail for performing electrical work for hire without a license and in Michigan, the laws are the same.
I've looked them up and I'm sure I could find them again in less than half an hour.
I'm not trying to offend any inspectors that might read this, I just want to know why the local authorities having jurisdiction, might not be motivated to check the qualifications of those whose work is being inspected.
Maybe, if the existing laws were to start being enforced, the money generated by the fines imposed could ease the burden on a few tax payers and the idea that there is a possibility of jail time might prevent the neighborhood handyman from hanging ceiling fans from the original 1940 fixture hickey and running 18/2 lampcord down to the speed control.
Just a thought...