The worst shame ever is when a city lets itself become overrun with crime and drugs. As a kid, I grew up in the projects, and I was never allowed outside until I was 10. Even then, I didn't like to go outside because I would get beat up for my skin color, social standing (I was prety shy), and whatever excuse someone could come up with to beat me up. I ended up spending all my time inside reading, which wasn't bad, but I never got to go get the excercise and experience the woods and stuff. I would sit inside all day, reading about electricity, building my own litle circuits (my favorite was when I strung wire all over the apartment to make a better antenna... we had picked up cable TV (I used part 15b of the FCC rules "this device must accept interference, including that which may caused undesired operation"... it said including, but not "limited to."
Now the crime is getting worse throughout the city. It makes me angry that smart, hard-working people have to put up with it. It makes me even angrier that kids have less of a chance to grow up to be smart, hard-working people. I agree that children must be given the opportunity to read; they will be able to think for themselves, and be a little bit smarter... hopefully smart enough to get the he** away from here.