I regularly work on HVAC systems that end up having large amp loads. I have a question on what you would expect if you were a customer.

Example:
Disconnecting means by customer.
MCA = 550 Amps
Should I ASSume the customer will run one three wire set of 1250KcMil from the 75 degree column (75 degree column required and stated on print), or should I ASSume that the customer will run two three wires sets of 300MCM?

Our largest stock power block can handle two 500MCM's per pole, and is a three pole block rated for 780 amps at 600V.

The big factor here is that if I figure on the customer using one run it will take a special order block and a huge bend radius that takes up a good portion of the panel.

If you were the customer and I did not specify what size of conductors the power block would accept what would you have run to this unit?

Should I always specify the maximum number and size of conductors the power block is capable of handling? Would you be okay with being restricted on what wire size you could run to the unit?

Am I going to irritate my boss by bringing this issue up at our next production meeting?

Actually I know the answer to the last one, but they can't afford to fire me. I just don't like leaving dangling issues on units that are this large and expensive. Plus a happy customer is usually a repeat customer.

Thanks in advance for your insights into this problem.