I agree with NJwirenut, never trust the bleeder resistors. I have successfully discharged such caps (assuming they are PFCs and at a reasonable voltage i.e. less than 1kV) using incandescent lamps of equal or greater than the rated DC voltage of the caps (the peak voltage on the caps could be 1.414 x AC voltage) - you can always wire lamps in series if required.

Leave the lamps on the caps for no less than 1 hour after the DC voltage across the caps reaches zero (preferably leave the lamps in circuit while all work is carried out - does two jobs; first is the caps remain discharged, and second you know if some twit re-energises them without your knowledge!). Reason for leaving lamps in circuit for some time is such caps are known to "recharge" and can develop hideous voltages across the terminals without any power applied.

Don't know about there, but here (UK) it is now regulation that PFCs have bleeder resistors. While re-working the caps, you may want to test for and install bleeders if required.

M.