Lucky,
You may truly be "lucky" as to the transformer question.
I also learned, and as a habit also, to connect transtormers to conduit with some form of "flex." This was clearly taugh to me, when I was an apprentice, as a "trade practice," and not a code requirement.
Yet I have noticed, on the last few transformers I've installed, that the instructions referred to loosening some internal bolts...seems that the coils are mounted on rubber pads, that are compressed for shipment! So the flex is probably redundant.

It is that transformer comment of the engineer's that helped me decide that he has NO trade experience, is out of his depth, and needs to be reined in. I just don't believe the engineer is qualified! (Having three years, including time at one of the "premier" schools, I know all too well that engineers, including "electrical engineers," graduate without having the slightest educations in matters electrical!)
Not to denigrate engineers, but their trade is quite different that that of an electrician (just as a 'mechanical engineer' doesn't learn squat about fixing cars).