Rick;

The fact that these are non-compliant installs are what's eating at me. But until I have something economically viable (and commercially available) to take to the powers-that-be, I'm caught in the "it's working fine, just do it" management brush-off routine.

I've thought about using a "c-tap" crimp for adding the TVSS conductors, but I've had to install this newer TVSS to replace older, less optioned ones, and replace the wiring, so something reversible would be best, since I'm sure this will repeat itself as an upgraded version with options the engineers like becomes available.
I kinda remember those lugs as well, but all my available suppliers are drawing a blank on them. I'm afraid they're no longer made. Any one have a source for them? THOSE would be my best option, and should be OK to Mgmt and the client engineers, too.

Don;
These are rated surge arrestors/suppressors that are dual rated for Type 1 or Type 2 installs. Customer specs want them installed as Type 2, as the building is remote from the service, and they're WAY more concerned with protecting what's in the building than the SE wires from the meter/main disc. So, they're mounted at the building disconnect, OR, more often at the xfr sw terminals inside(usually) the buildings. But I'll note the NEC ref, and keep it for future arguments. Thanks.